Monday, April 11, 2016

Trainwreck in Tap Shoes

I don't know how Bobby and I got on the subject of my tap recital recently but it was an enlightening conversation. As little brothers do, he was teasing me about the fact that, at 40, I had my first dance recital. I love this story, I love how fun it was and I completely own all of it.

Jen (mythical best friend of 27 years) will say yes to me regardless of the question. If I call, I can't get past will you...and she's completely on board. It's been like that for years now and I love her for always being so willing to have an adventure. I told Jen that I wanted to take a dance class and she was 100% on board.  We signed up for adult Tap and Jazz and were two of 7 in the class. We worked from September to April on our two dances.

On the tap part, we came in on opposite sides towards each other and both of us had to make a study of the floor or we'd start laughing.  In hindsight we should have taken it maybe a bit more seriously but we had so much fun.  On the day of the rehearsal we allowed people to come see (or insisted).  We didn't want anyone there on the day of the actual performance.  I have the pictures of our class (like any 7 year old would) and I have the DVD which I did allow my ex to watch but I've never looked at it myself. I know how, um, interesting the dance was as we were doing it.  I'd be entirely too embarrassed to watch it.  Maybe someday Jen and  I will have some wine and put it in but I doubt it.  It's not that I have no skills, I just get distracted and then stop paying attention.

When Bobby brought up the recital to make his kids laugh, I couldn't help but laugh too. It was a mess, and I was--in my words--a trainwreck in tap shoes!  And I completely own that, and I wouldn't change a single thing about any of it. I learned so many important things about myself that it's worth every embarrassed giggle.  I think I love that most about me, I love that I can own things that would embarrass other people! What's the point if we can't laugh at ourselves?

So I will freely admit that I was a train wreck in tap shoes and I know that there are other things that I'll do (and con Jen into doing with me) that most women "our age" would never do, but I'd rather be that than to regret missing out on even one laugh.

I love this picture and I will always pick the front row.  Which row are you going to choose? Will you even be brave enough to pick or will you hold the purses and stand in line?


2 comments:

  1. I love your stories ;) PS - I've nominated your blog for an award. It's basically a good way to build a network of bloggers. Check out my most recent post for details ;)

    ReplyDelete