Sunday, April 24, 2016

Believing the PR

I remember a few years ago telling my therapist that my goal in life was to believe the public relations that I put out about myself, that I am confident, witty, and self assured.  Believe that fine line that I deserve all the good things that happened to me and that they happened by some accident or divine intervention and not because I'm smart and work hard. I think we all do that, put out one persona for the public and one for when we are at home, alone, covered in Oreo crumbs drinking red wind right out of the bottle and arguing with Netflix about my viewing habits.  Well, maybe that second part is just me.

I have done some of the work, I've done some of the reading.  I say some because I learn more and more every day.  I am constantly looking for how I can become this person I put out in my Public Relations releases, I want to always challenge myself.  I hope that I'm never satisfied with who I am, I hope that I am constantly challenging myself to be different, to be more. 

My challenge now is to take big steps to moving forward with what I want my life to look like. Tonight we ripped the bandaid off from the breakup, I went on my first, first date in forever.  He is a very nice man. We had great conversation and we made plans to go out again next weekend if we can.  It was, all in all, a good night.  I don't know if this will turn into something, but it was good to just go out and be sparkly for a bit, to flirt and laugh with a stranger.  If nothing else I’m really proud I’m out there again, closing a door on one relationship and then blowing up the bridge that leads to that house! 

I have had so much help in this journey.  All of the people who love me of course, thank you so much. There is no one more loved on this earth than I am, and I'll leg wrestle anyone who challenges me on that!  But I've done some things too and I am going to own my part in this. I've been working out and trying to eat right (except for the aforementioned Oreo/Red Wine combo).  I've been writing a ton. Poetry is catharsis for me, so is blogging. I have always said if I can help just one person then whatever I've dealt with is worth it. I've seen a psychic, an intuitive healer, a Reiki master, and I've prayed.  I've prayed a lot.  And not for anything specific, it's more about looking for peace from whomever has hurt me. I pray for their love, peace and joy. I don't pray that I can forgive them, I pray like I have already forgiven them. And I pray for me, that I can find my own peace, love and joy in divine right, divine time. 

And something must be working. I was at lunch with a dear friend last week and she said something that nearly had me tearing up. We were talking about the hard things we are dealing with in just being an adult and how we are making such huge changes with our little tribe of women. She looked at me and said I want to be where you are,  I want to be as strong as you are and as confident.  And there it was, a crossroads.  On one side I could dismiss what she said, play it off and deny that I've changed, deny that I could possibly be an inspiration for someone. Or….or I could smile with my whole heart, acknowledge I've worked really hard to get where I am and thank this lovely woman for noticing and being brave enough to tell me that I inspire her.


I thanked her, anything else would be insincere.  And so I believed the PR.


No comments:

Post a Comment