Sunday, February 21, 2016

Directional Variations and a Compass

I was at an interesting seminar today that's going to stick with me for a while, (more on that some other day), but when I was there I had a thought about chaining direction.  Most of us, when we are dissatisfied with our lot in life, frankly, don't do anything at all, we stay in it--go with the devil you know and all. But some of us will do something drastic, sell the house, get divorced, move all the way across country, get surgery, take a lover (I've always wanted to use that phrase) or quit our job. But what if we realized that to truly make a massive, drastic change all you have to do is make a minor modifications and move forward.

I've been trying to Google the math on this, I know I read somewhere that a tiny error in an angle can have catastrophic impacts. And thinking about it, if you move an angle out by .1 degrees by the time it reaches the moon the angle is hundreds of miles off course (or millions, I'm a poet not a scientist). Even closer to home, imagine a compass that isn't truly calibrated right and you are using that to wander in the forest, a slight error in North will send you miles in the wrong direction. 

Confused? This is why I'm not a scientist.  Here's what I'm really saying, if I want things to be different then I have to be different. It doesn't have to be huge giant changes like leaving life behind, it can be small targeted changes. I've made some simple but significant changes lately. I've started following people who inspire me on Facebook, I try to repost things that sing to my heart, I've given up my snooze button in the mornings (I cannot stress how huge this one is despite it being small).   I stopped eating dairy (not sure why I gave it up but it makes skipping ice cream easier), I have my groceries delivered to my house-this way there's no impulse shopping and nothing in the house that isn't good for me.  I am trying to honor my gut and my heart with what's best for me.  But what's best for me isn't always easy.  It's removing people from my life who are toxic, it's honoring my time and only putting it towards things I want to do and that serve my dream or my heart, it's eating more vegetables and less processed foods.  It's moving more and sitting less.  It's having the grace to walk away when something or someone doesn’t quite fit for me.

When I look behind me I don't see a massive shift like uprooting my whole life would do, the path looks almost the same, but I'm counting on the magic of math to prove to me that slight variations in the angle will result in a massive course shift in the future.  This isn't me saying that I'm flying blind here, I have a very specific picture of what I want the future to look like, this is me trusting that the small changes will add up to something spectacular.  I was trying to type something about missing the target but still getting the landing or something but the truth is that if I make the small changes consistently and adapt as I go along, I cannot miss the mark because the mark will change with me.  Huh, I'm pretty profound tonight.


Is there one small thing you can do to step towards your dreams?

No comments:

Post a Comment